Monday, November 28th, 2011
Welcome!! Over the Thanksgiving weekend over 100 people joined us on facebook.
We’d like to think the desire to learn about our 5 healthy towns motivated you. We suspect it’s the lure of the random drawing for either the 1) 6 month membership to the Chelsea or Manchester Wellness Centers or 2) A winter sports package. The drawing occurs when we hit 1000 likers.
Whatever it is that brought you to us, we hope you’ll stay & learn about the 5H plan for your town (Click this link to find out more: www.5healthytowns.org).
In Chelsea, Dexter, Grass Lake, Manchester & Stockbridge there are community members planning a communitywide wellness plan with a goal of making our 5 healthy towns the healthiest in the Midwest. The 5H plan will offer everyone the opportunity to find a wellness related activity they care about. Really, who doesn’t want to be healthy?
It’s great to have you with us.
Monday, November 21st, 2011
Most of us are not going to abandon Thanksgiving stuffing because it has too much fat. We won’t forgo the whipping cream with the only pumpkin pie we’ll eat all year.
Instead, here are a couple tidbits we hope will help you through the long Thanksgiving weekend.
1. Go for walks – every day of the long weekend. Short ones, long ones, but particularly walks with family members & friends. Let everyone know before you get together so they have the right shoes and outer wear.
2. Eat reasonably the rest of the weekend. Add lots of crunchy lettuce to that turkey sandwich and use a bit less mayonnaise.
3. Don’t indulge in guilt. Every now & then we can be hedonistic without the world coming to an end.
4. Focus on giving thanks. Being grateful is good for us, too.
Monday, November 14th, 2011
Dancing is great exercise. And anyone can do it (really – anyone!). Many a parent has danced around the living room with a baby or toddler in their arms.
In the Winter 2011 Community Observer there were opportunities to engage in or learn all kinds of dances.
Ice skating to the top 40s music
Contra dancing (traditional folk dancing – no partner required)
Polka Jam session
‘sassy’ dancing (includes a boa!)
Contra & square dancing for the whole family
Skate with Santa (not exactly dancing)
We’ll hang onto the Observer for a few weeks. If you want information on any of these opportunities & don’t have an Observer of your own, give us a call. 433.4599
Wednesday, November 9th, 2011
Making the Best of It
Winter is just around the corner. Sure, right now it’s a balmy 55 degrees, but the gray clouds are a sign of things to come.
Many of you may think I’m nuts, but I’m a winter person. I grew up in northern Michigan and get that flip-floppy, happy feeling in my stomach whenever I wake, pull back the curtains & see fresh snow.
The CWF is in cahoots with me in a quest to convert as many of you as possible to ‘move more’ status during our Michigan winter. As soon as we reach 1000 members on our facebook page, we’re going to do a random drawing of all our service-area facebook members for a winter give-away. The prize options are:
1. A 6 month membership at either the Chelsea or Manchester Wellness Center OR
2. A family winter sports package worth up to $1000 that will include snow shoes (up to 4 pair), boot cleats for safe winter walking & a sled for the kids.
Join us on facebook or send in a postcard – http://www.facebook.com/5healthytowns
Once we reach 1000 entries (likers + postcard submissions) we’ll do the drawing.